Verapamil is a common drug that can treat problems like high blood pressure, chest pain, heart rhythmic disorders, and irregularity in heartbeats. Ask for a doctor's suggestion for the consumption of this medicine. It is always safe to consult the doctor before you take the medicine.
It is a wonderful drug that helps in locking the calcium channels and slowly relaxing the blood vessels. As a result, the heartbeat gets controlled. The problem of high blood pressure should be cured in time to avoid other health related issues. Consumption of this drug maintains the heartbeat in a healthy way. Therefore, it prevents heart attack, kidney failure, strokes, and loss of vision.
Dosage and administration
Generally, Verapamil is available in the form of tablets and should be taken orally. It is available in 80mg, 120mg, and 240mg strength. Doses can be taken as per the requirement or prescription. At maximum, it can be taken four times a day. Do not crush or chew the tablets. Blood pressure and arrhythmia problems may be easily cured by this drug, if the drug is consumed as per the prescription.
Precautionary measures should be taken into account, prior to taking this medicine.
- You should inform your doctor or pharmacist about allergic reactions if there is any that occurs during consumption of this drug.
- If you are consuming any vitamins or supplements, seek advise from your doctor.
- Intake of any herbal products should also be known to the doctor. Doing so can help you to avoid any side effects.
- If you have or had any problems like kidney failure, digestive problems, or heart failure, then it should be known to the doctor.
- Pregnant and breast feeding mothers should also let the doctor know about their activities before the doctor prescribes the medicine.
- If you are undergoing any dental or other surgeries, inform this matter well before taking the drug.
It is always better to let the physician know of any side effects as soon as possible as side effects may become more severe in the future. Some of the common side effects of this medicine include:
There are some other side effects that can be noticed during the consumption of this drug. These common side-effects can become quite serious if steps are not taken towards curing it. Some of such side-effects are:
- Difficulty while swallowing or breathing
- Swelling of ankles, hands, legs, and feet
- Fainting at any point of time
- Severe pain in the stomach
- Lack of energy that makes you feel dull to do any activity